Apple Announces the iPhone 5
Apple SVP Phil Schiller took the stage to introduce the iPhone 5 to the world. The biggest news about the new iPhone is the all new design (4-inch screen, 20% lighter, 18% thinner), LTE compatibility, and a more powerful A6 Chip (2x faster). They also changed the connector which means that all of your iPod and previous iPhone accessories like docks will no longer work. The advantage though is the faster data transfer and smaller footprint.
Here’s what we’ve gathered so far on the specs:
iPhone 5 Spec Sheet
- A6 Chip (2x Faster than the A5 Chip)
- 4-inch Retina Display, 1136 x 640 pixels (~326 PPI)
- 20% Lighter and 18% Thinner compared to the iPhone 4
- 2G, EDGE, 3G, HSPA+, LTE
- 8-megapixel rear-facing camera, 3264×2448, dynamic low light mode, panorama 5-element lens, f2.4 aperture
- Records 1080p, take photos while shooting videos
- Front-facing FaceTime HD camera with 720p support
- New Connector called Lightning
- Facetime over 3G
- iOS 6
- Better Speakers
The iPhone comes in black and white. In the US pre-orders will be accepted September 14 and it will be released September 21. Pricing is the same as the iPhone 4.
What about here in the Philippines?
There’s no official announcement yet locally but based on the teasers and feelers we’ve seen in the last two weeks, both Smart and Globe will be offering the iPhone 5 here in the Philippines. If last year’s iPhone 4S launch is an indication of what we’ll see for the iPhone 5, expect a fierce marketing war between the two telcos and very competitive postpaid packages (yay). At the end of the day the winner is not them but us! As soon as we get more information from either telco we’ll post it here on Unbox!
So… what do you guys think of the iPhone 5? Thinking of getting one?
(Photo via CNET)