While we most of what we’ve been seeing on mainstream media are tied to our President’s War on Drugs, it’s a breath of fresh air to see another part of the government’s plan to ease the lives of the Filipino people. The Facebook Page for Presidential Communications uploaded a deck that outlines its plan to undertake the biggest infrastructure push in Philippine history and we’ve got to say, it looks pretty awesome!
One of the key elements for the push is that all the major government agencies required to build big ticket projects, namely: The National Economic Development Agency (NEDA), Department of Transportation (DOTr), Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) and the Bases Conversion and Development Authority (BCDA), are pooling together to not only ease traffic in Metro Manila but create better roads, railways, and bridges through out the country in the next three to five years.
Some of the highlights for projects in Metro Manila include:
- The Metro Manila Bus Rapid Train System that will move along major thoroughfares and guarantees faster transport on a schedule.
- Manila-Clark Railway. This a move to perhaps unclog Manila Air Traffic and goes hand-in-hand with the rehabilitation of the Clark Internation Airport
- NLEX-SLEX Connector Road that will allow faster travel for those who go from North to South. Imagine Alabang to Balintawak in 30 minutes.
Our brothers and sisters in the Visayas and Mindanao can also expect major projects, such as:
- A Link Bridge that will connect Iloilo, Guimaras, Negros, and Cebu.
- The Mindanao Railway
- Davao City Bypass Construction Project
Obviously, huge projects like these will require a tremendous amount of funds and, let’s face it, it’s sometimes hard for us to hold our government accountable when we don’t have all the facts and figures. It looks like one major part of this massive undertaking is to keep things transparent. Along with all the nation building, the government will put up a website so that we may easily track how much money the government has spent, a project’s current status, and the progress they’ve made on any particular project.
We’re seriously looking forward to all of these projects. While we’ve been called a Rising Tiger in Asia, we truly hope that these projects would take our country to the next level. Kudos to the Government!