Smart recently launched its Long Term Evolution (LTE) technology. It is technology that takes the joy of using the internet on another level. It is loosely a part of 4G technology, as defined by the International Telecommunications Union (ITU).
What does this mean for us consumers? It’s what we’ve been waiting for–better internet. Imagine not having to buffer any YouTube video and not having to wait 20 seconds for each Facebook photo to load on their new photo viewer.
Here are some of the numbers we got during our test in Boracay:
– Our current internet connections in the country offer maximum speeds of 12 Mbps
– LTE offers a maximum speed of 50 Mbps, which can be increased to 100 Mbps in the near future
– Our current internet connections in the country average out at 1 – 2 Mbps
– LTE averaged at about 35 Mbps at a recent test event we attended in Boracay
– Our current mobile internet connections uses 3G technology
– LTE is roughly considered to be 4G technology
Here’s a better picture:
It means we can virtually do everything at least 5 times faster.
However, right now the system for the technology is slowly being rolled out, so we won’t be seeing it anytime soon. Maybe by the end of this year or early next year, we can expect LTE to be the internet of choice of all users.
But we’re here to keep you guys updated on all gadgets that we can use to maximize LTE technology!
Watch out for our updates!