Chinese device manufacturer Meizu isn’t going to let their fellow Chinese rivals one-up them in the smartphone game for the last stretch of 2016. The company has already scheduled two upcoming product events to launch their MediaTek-powered handsets, the M5 and the Pro 6s. Here’s the low-down on both devices.
Meizu M5 (Rumored Specs)
- 1.5GHz MediaTek MT6750 octa-core processor
- Mali-T860 graphics processor
- 2GB RAM
- HD display, 1280 x 720 resolution
- 16GB internal storage, expandable via microSD
- 13-megapixel rear camera
- Android 5.1.1 Lollipop
Meizu Pro 6s (Rumored Specs)
- Mediatek MT6796 deca-core processor (Helio P/X variant)
- Mali-T880 graphics processor
- 4GB RAM
- 5.2-inch FHD AMOLED display, 1920 x 1080 resolution
- 64GB internal storage, expandable via microSD
- Android 6.0 Marshmallow
The Meizu M5 looks like an entry-level phone with dated, leftover hardware. The Meizu Pro 6s, when compared to the earlier Pro 6, feels like a downgrade given the CPU and smaller screen size. We’re not sure where Meizu is heading with these new offerings.
The M5 is scheduled for a product event on October 31, while the Pro 6s is slated for a November 3 unveiling. November 3 is also supposedly the same day for Huawei’s big Mate 9 reveal.