Momo enters Android Tablet Market in the Philippines
Momo is a newcomer in the local tablet market. It is a Chinese brand that makes mobile phones and tablets owned by Ployer Electronics. They recently opened their first store at SM North Edsa and we were able to get some hands-on time with their tablets. There were two tablets on display — the quad-core Momo 18 and the entry-level Momo 9P-3P.
Priced at Php8,800, the Momo 18 is their high-end quad-core offering. It boasts of 2GB RAM, 16GB Internal Storage (expandable), and an 8-inch IPS LCD Display. We were able to play around with the device and we have nothing bad to say save for the rather thick bezel. Transitions and animations were smooth and snappy. Color saturation and image detail were also pretty great. Here’s a quick rundown of the specifications.
Momo 18 Spec Sheet
- 1.6GHz quad core Allwinner A31 Cortex A7 processor
- 2GB DDR3 RAM
- 16GB internal storage, expandable via MicroSD up to 32GB
- 8-inch IPS LCD display ( 1024 x 768 pixels) 5 point mulit touch
- WiFi Ready, HDMI, Bluetooth
- External 3G Broadband USB dongle support
- Android 4.1 Jellybean
- SRP: 8,800
- *Momo did not include the battery.
We were also able to play around with the entry-level Momo 9P-3P. Priced at Php4,950, there really isn’t special about this particular device. It runs on a single-core processor, 512MB RAM, and Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. Based on our hands-on we can say up front that it was a rather sluggish. There is a silver lining though. This tablet is actually 3G which means you can send out texts and make phone calls with it. It’s a rather affordable 3G tablet don’t you think? :)
Momo 3P-3G Spec Sheet
- 1.2 GHz Allwinner A13 Cortex A8 processor
- 512MB RAM
- 8GB internal memory with expandable storage up to 32GB via MicroSD
- 7-inch Capacitive, 5-point Multi-touch display (480 x 800 pixels)
- 2-megapixel rear camera and 1.3 megapixel front camera
- 3G, WiFi, HDMI, Bluetooth
- Phone call function
- 2,600 mAh battery
- Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
- SRP: 4,950 (sale price)
But wait… there’s more!
The good people from Momo said that there is another tablet called Momo Mini. They didn’t have a live demo unit but they showed a dummy unit to us. The design looks like the iPad Mini – same thin bezel, design, feel and screen size – 7.9 inches. The SRP is P9,200.
Momo Mini Spec Sheet
- 1.2 GHz quad core Allwinner A13S Cortex A7 processor
- 1GB DDR3 RAM
- 8GB internal memory, expandable storage up to 32GB via MicroSD
- 7.9 -inch IPS LCD Display (1024 x 768 pixels) 5 point multi touch
- WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, WiFi hotspot, Bluetooth
- Supports external 3G Broadband USB dongle
- 3,900 mAh battery
- Android 4.2.2 Jellybean
- SRP: P9,200
Maybe you are wondering what is Allwinner. It is a chipset maker from China that supplies chipsets to entry level Android tablets and smartphones. It’s safe to assume that we’ll be seeing their smartphones and other tablets entering the local scene soon. We’ll definitely monitor this brand as it has potential. :)