Does anyone even need that crazy amount of zoom?
Samsung has taken the wraps off of their new flagship S-series phones today, and as expected, the leaks were spot on. Just like last year, there are three variants of the new phone, and of the three the S20 Ultra really stands out from the pack.
For the first time ever Samsung has deviated from its “less is more” approach to megapixels in its main cameras, and has adopted a 108-megapixel sensor for the main camera on its most expensive variant. While it’s not the first phone to sport a 108-megapixel sensor, Samsung’s own camera algorithm and software elevate the image quality of the snapper from good to great.
Samsung’s also shoe-horned a massive 100x telephoto zoom lens in the new, rectangular camera module of theirs, which is an insane amount of zoom that beats the one on Huawei’s current crop of flagships. We can’t possibly think of a reason why you’d need that much zoom in a smartphone in your day-to-day tasks, but hey, we’ll take it.
Aside from improvements in the camera, the Galaxy S20 Ultra also has a silky-smooth 120Hz, WQHD Dynamic Super AMOLED Infinity-O display with dual-curved edges, and a massive 5000mAh battery to keep the display on.
Under the hood is Samsung’s new Exynos 990 processor, paired with 12GB/16GB of LPDDR5 RAM and up to 512GB of expandable storage.
The Galaxy S20 Ultra is priced at Php 69,990 and will be available for pre-order from February 12 to 25.
Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra Specs
- Exynos 990 octa-core processor
- 12GB LPDDR5 RAM
- 6.9-inch WQHD Dynamic Super AMOLED Infinity-O display, 3040 x 1440 resolution, dual curved edge, HDR10+, 120hz refresh rate
- 128GB UFS 3.0 expandable storage
- Quad rear cameras: 108-megapixel f/1.8 main camera with Dual Pixel PDAF and OIS; 48-megapixel telephoto camera with 10x optical zoom, OIS, and PDAF; 12-megapixel ultra-wide-angle camera with AF and Super Steady video; ToF sensor; with 100x Space Zoom, LED Flash, 8K video recording
- 40-megapixel front camera; Dual Pixel PDAF, 4K video recording
- Dual SIM
- 3G, LTE, 5G
- WiFi 6, Bluetooth 5.1, GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS
- Ultrasonic Fingerprint scanner, facial recognition, IP68 certification, USB Type-C port, stereo speakers, Bixby AI, 3D Emojis
- 5000mAh battery with 45w wired charging and wireless charging
- Android 10 with OneUI 2.0