Sony brings back the headphone jack
Japanese smartphone maker Sony is jumping onto 5G with its first 5G-capable flagship, the weirdly-named Xperia 1II.
The flagship is a tweaked version of their previous 6.5-inch, 4K-capable Xperia 1, armed with the capability to hop onto low and mid-band 5G networks around the world.
The Xperia 1II has a Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 processor, along with a 4K, 6.5-inch 4K OLED panel that has motion blur reduction that Sony claims approximate the feel of display that has a 90Hz refresh rate.
Yes, the argument can be made that a faux 90Hz refresh rate can’t be as good as the real deal, but we’re pretty sure that the phone’s 4000mAh won’t be able to keep up with that speedy refresh rate especially when you factor in the 4K resolution panel.
The phone comes with three cameras, all pegged at 12-megapixels for ultra-wide, wide and 3x zoom duties, while the front camera comes in at 8-megapixels. Unlike most flagship phones of its ilk, the Xperia 1II has a 3.5mm jack, which is fast disappearing in most flagship phones. Sony has worked extensively with famed German lens maker Zeiss to tune the optics of the phone, with the lenses of the snappers shipping with ZEISS T* anti-reflective coating that was previously available only in professional lenses.
No price has been set for the phone.
Sony Xperia 1 II Specs
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 processor
- Adreno 650 GPU
- 8GB RAM
- 6.5-inch 4K HDR OLED Triluminos Display, 21:9 aspect ratio, Gorilla Glass 5, 90Hz Motion Blur reduction
- 256GB of expandable storage
- 4G, LTE, 5G (sub-6Ghz)
- Dual SIM
- Zeiss-Branded Quad rear cameras: 12-megapixel f/1.6 24mm wide camera with Dual Pixel AF and OIS; 12-megapixel f/2.4 70mm telephoto lens with PDAF, OIS, and 3x optical zoom; 12-megapixel f/2.4 16mm ultra-wide angle camera with Dual Pixel AF; Time-of-Flight sensor; LED flash, Eye AF, 4K HDR recording, 960FPS Full HD, 20FPS AF/AE Tracking burst
- 8-megapixel f/2.0 front camera with bokeh, beauty effects, EIS
- WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC, GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS
- Fingerprint scanner, USB-C, Wireless Charging, IP68 rating, Hi-Res Audio, Dolby Atmos, Stereo Speakers
- 4000mAh Battery with USB-PD quick charging
- Android 10