Welcome to the folding phone future!
While the talk of the town at the Unpacked event in San Francisco is the Galaxy S10 family, Samsung kicked off the show by revealing the official look at its foldable phone called the Galaxy Fold.
This new device combines both a smartphone and tablet all in a premium package. When folded, you have a 4.6-inch display (with an 840 x 1960 resolution) that is very handholdable as a phone. As it unfolds, you get a 7.3-inch Infinity Fold display (with a 1536 x 2152 resolution) to use the Galaxy Fold as a tablet. To make the folding phone possible, Samsung devised a durable mechanism comprising of several gears so that the folding mechanism can endure multiple folds and unfolds.
Given its unique design, Samsung made a customized software for the Galaxy Fold, adding features like App Continuity—a feature that lets you open the app on the small screen and continue on the big screen. With the big screen, you can multi-task up to three apps for maximum productivity.
There’s a total of six cameras on the Galaxy Fold: a triple rear camera setup consisting of wide, ultrawide, and telephoto lenses; a dual front camera setup consisting of a wide-angle and depth sensor; and a cover camera that aids in the seamless transition from phone mode to tablet mode.
Powering it is a 7nm processor paired with 12GB RAM, and 512GB UFS 3.0 storage, giving the Galaxy Fold the ultimate in performance. Keeping the lights on are two batteries—combining for a total capacity of 4380mAh.
Samsung Galaxy Fold Specs
- 7nm octa-core processor
- 12GB DDR4X RAM
- 4.6-inch HD+Super AMOLED outer display; 7.3-inch QXVGA Dynamic Super AMOLED Infinity Fold outer display
- 512GB UFS 3.0 internal storage
- Triple rear cameras: 12-megapixel primary camera with f/1.5 and f/2.4 aperture; 12-megapixel telephoto camera with f/2.4 aperture and 2x optical zoom; 16-megapixel f/2.2 ultra-wide camera; with Dual Pixel, Dual OIS, 960FPS Super Slo-Mo video, 4K HDR10+ shooting at 30FPS/4K shooting at 60FPS
- Dual front cameras: 10-megapixel f/1.9 main camera; 8-megapixel f/2.2 wide-angle camera; dual-pixel autofocus, 4K video recording
- 10-megapixel f/2.2 cover camera
- Dual SIM
- 3G, LTE, WiFi 6
- GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS
- IP68 certification, USB Type-C port, Bixby AI, 3D Emojis
- 4380mAh battery with 25W fast charging and wireless charging
- Android 9.0 Pie (One UI)
The Galaxy Fold will be available in 5G and LTE variants, starting from $1980(~Php 102.9k). The Galaxy Fold will be available starting April 26.