What do you do if you refuse to go for the notch route and the hole-punch approach to stand out of the crowd? For Sony, that involves creating a phone with an extra tall display in the form of the Xperia 1.
A successor to last year’s Xperia XZ3, the Xperia 1’s standout feature is its 21:9 CinemaWide OLED display. It is huge at 6.5 inches, and comes with 4K HDR resolution, making it one heck of a display—literally and figuratively. The choice to go extra tall is for multitasking purposes and for watching videos and playing games.
Being a flagship phone, you get flagship features on the Xperia 1: Snapdragon 855, 6GB RAM, 128GB storage, IP68 rating, and a triple rear camera setup consisting of three 12-megapixel cameras: 26mm wide lens, 52mm telephoto lens, and 16mm ultrawide lens. The wide and telephoto lens get OIS for blur-free shots.
Sony Xperia 1 Specs
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 processor
- Adreno 640 GPU
- 6GB RAM
- 6.5-inch 4K HDR OLED Triluminos Display, 21:9 aspect ratio, Gorilla Glass 5
- 128GB of expandable storage
- 4G, LTE
- Dual SIM
- Triple rear camera: 12-megapixel f/1.6 26mm wide camera with Dual Pixel and OIS; 12-megapixel f/2.4 52mm telephoto lens with OIS and 2x optical zoom; 12-megapixel f/2.4 16mm ultra-wide angle camera; EIS, PDAF, Laser AF, LED flash, 4K HDR recording, 960FPS Full HD
- 8-megapixel f/2.0 front camera with bokeh, beauty effects, EIS
- WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC
- GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS
- Fingerprint scanner, USB Type-C, Wireless Charging, IP68 rating, Hi-Res Audio
- 3330mAh Battery with USB-PD quick charging
- Android 9.0 Pie
The Xperia 1 is expected to arrive in the second quarter of 2019.