It looks like LTE will be here in the Philippines much sooner than we thought. We just received an invitation from Smart Communications to the First Philippine LTE Forum this coming August 8 at Makati City. For the speaker line-up they have a powerhouse cast of executives from Cisco, Huawei, NTT Docomo, Nokia Siemens, and Ericsson.
LTE FORUM SPEAKERS
- Mr. Dirk Wolter–Chief Technology Officer, Mobility, Cisco Systems, Inc.
- Ms. Carol Wan–Director, Business Consulting, Huawei Technologies Company Ltd.
- Mr. Yoshinori Yasui– Senior Technical Advisor (Smart), NTT Docomo
- Mr. Albert Nombres–Head of Solutions, Nokia Siemens Networks
- Mr. Lawrence Macalintal—Chief Technology Officer, Ericsson Telecommunications, Inc.
We’ve written about Smart’s LTE a few months ago when we were part of the Closed Beta Testing. All I can say is that it’s ridiculously fast. At home I barely had two bars of LTE signal but I was averaging 17 Mbps download and 15 Mbps upload. At that upload speed we were able to upload a 95MB video to Youtube in under 3 minutes. In Makati (near Greenbelt), other beta testers said they reached more than 70 Mbps download speed.
We’ll share more details as we get them. Hopefully we’ll get more information about Smart LTE during the forum on August 8.