Aimed to rival Xiaomi’s Redmi Note 5 Pro
After appearing in teasers, ASUS unveiled its latest ZenFone model under the Max line. Called the ZenFone Max Pro (M1), this phone boasts of a big 5000mAh battery paired with a Snapdragon 636 processor. There are three variants to choose from, with the top-tier 6GB variant having the best camera setup from the three.
While it aims to rival Xiaomi’s Redmi Note 5 Pro with its similar internals, the ZenFone Max Pro (M1)’s biggest selling point is that it runs on Pure Android 8.1 Oreo. While ASUS did not specify if the ZenFone Max Pro (M1) is part of the Android One program, the Taiwanese brand guarantees at least two major updates for it.
ASUS ZenFone Max Pro (M1) Specifications
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 636 processor
- Adreno 509 GPU
- 3GB/4GB/6GB RAM
- 32GB/64GB internal storage (expandable via MicroSD)
- 6-inch Full HD+IPS display; 18:9 aspect ratio
- (3GB/4GB): 13-megapixel main rear camera and 5-megapixel secondary rear camera with PDAF, LED flash
- (6GB): 16-megapixel primary rear camera and 5-megapixel secondary rear camera with PDAF, LED flash
- (3GB/4GB): 8-megapixel front camera with LED flash
- (6GB): 16-megapixel front camera with LED flash
- 4G, LTE
- Dual SIM
- WiFi, Bluetooth
- GPS, A-GPS
- Fingerprint scanner, NXP Smart Amplifier
- 5000mAh battery with 10W fast charging
- Android 8.1 Oreo
As for pricing, the 3GB/32GB model will retail for INR 11,000 (~Php 8.7k), while the 4GB/64GB model will cost INR 13,000 (~Php 10.3k). The top-tier 6GB/64GB model will have an INR 15,000 (~Php 11.8k) price tag. The ZenFone Max Pro (M1) is a Flipkart exclusive as of this writing, and we’re unsure if ASUS plans to sell the phone outside of India.
Should ASUS decide to sell it outside of India with the same price, the ZenFone Max Pro (M1) is a potential disruptor in the mid-range category with its specs.